John Dawson Duckett (1) (10th August 1791 – 27th September 1866), son of William Duckett (2) and Elizabeth Dawson Coates was heir of Duckett’s Grove Georgian country house and brother of William (Dawson) Duckett (1), Russellstown Park.
On 16th March, 1819, John Dawson Duckett (1) and Sarah Hutchinson Summers, daughter of William Hutchinson Esq., from Timoney Park, Co. Tipperary were married in the parish church of St. George’s, Dublin, according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of Ireland by consistorial license by Frederick Bridge, Curate, in the presence of William Hutchinson and William T. Bruton. In the same year, John Dawson Duckett (1) was appointed High Sheriff of County Carlow.
John Dawson Duckett (1) and Sarah Hutchinson Summers had two sons; the eldest, William (Dawson) Duckett (2) – (14th April 1822 – 22nd June 1908) was named after his grandfather and he was the last blood heir to Duckett’s Grove. Their second son, John Dawson Duckett (2), named after his father, died on 2nd June 1841 at Bath, England aged 14 years. They also had three daughters, Eliza Dawson Duckett (Elizabeth) who died on 1st February 1839 aged 18 years. Their second daughter, Anne Duckett married the wealthy Hardy Eustace of Castlemore in Tullow, Co, Carlow. Their third daughter, Sarah Duckett died in Dublin on March 12th 1879 aged 53.
Circa 1825, six years after the marriage of John Dawson Duckett (1) and Sarah Hutchinson Summers, Duckett’s Grove Georgian country house was re-designed and extended by British born Architect Thomas A. Cobden at the request of John Dawson Duckett (1) at which stage the Gothic style mantle was added including the profound ornamentation, arches, turrets, crenellations and an octagonal viewing tower to the north. Circa 1845, the Gothic mansion was further extended at the request of John Dawson Duckett (1). This extension was designed by John McDuff Derick Architect from Ballymote, Co. Sligo who added the granite ashlar viewing tower on an octagonal plan to the south, turretts, entrance screens and stable complex to the rear.
Article by J. Doyle – Founder, Owner and Administrator of DuckettsGrove.ie